Sunday, August 17, 2008

A reunion with Mrs. Seshadri

All praise to Facebook who enabled me to find Gita and discover that Mrs. Seshadri is her mother-in-law! Gita put me in touch with Mrs. Seshadri and finally, after years of wondering how to locate her, I met her on Saturday (16 August 2008). Niru and I (Nirupama Sarma, 1981 batch) took the scenic route (meaning which we got lost and took a lot of u-turns) and eventually found ourselves at Mrs. Seshadri's front door. Some rapid make-up and hair preening to ensure we were fit to face her, and then there we were, exchanging hugs and memories.

It was a wonderful morning - and what a memory Mrs. Seshadri has! It was a truly special time and thanks so much Gita for making this happen. For all the years that have gone by, "Seshu", as we used to call her (not to her face, of course! Far too irreverent! Plus most of us were too terrified and awed to!) has hardly aged. She was surrounded by piles of books and texts, and on a blackboard behind her were scrawled these delightful words: chiaroscuro .. catharsis .. hamartia .. hubris .. it was even a thrill to see her elegant handwriting hadn't changed after all this time. We talked of school, of girls and teachers, of those who are still here and those who have passed on. We talked about our lives, our work, our destinies .. it was such an inspiring morning.

I was even honoured by having my very first cup of coffee ever made by Mrs. Seshadri - so honoured, in fact, that I have taken a picture of it! But that picture goes on my other blog (Art Earth Ink Soul)!

Today I'm yearning to be her student again .. and not just for the coffee!

7 comments:

Leena Thomas said...

Mrs Seshadri...how lovely to see you...I'm really indebted to you for pushing me into debating and public speaking...it was amazing how you believed in us.
Oh yes, and thanks to your Indian history teaching which embraced the arts and culture (not the stodgy old dates)of the period, Supriya and I was ahead of the pack when doing History of Architecture at BMS! Hope you will get to see this blog!
Love, Leena

Raj said...

Very nicely written Nazu!You have certainly resonated the warm sentiments I feel and I believe many of us feel.Because of Sheshu The Russian and French Revolutions are forever burned in my brain and the love for history remains. Public Speaking..a breeze! Oh, and I actually made the effort to go and look at the JANTAR MANTAR while in Delhi and I think i was the only one on that tour who was raving and ranting about that monument while the folks I was with began retreating into a distance safely away from me!! -well, it was awesome... so there! Thank You Mrs. Sheshadri for sweeping me into the knowledge of the history of India which has over the years and at many gatherings made me...perhaps not the belle of the ball but definitely made me shine!
cheers, Raj

Veena said...

I wish I was with you guys Nazu, especially to drink that cup of coffee and chat...Raj, I totally understand what you're saying..I have a fellow Bangalorean in our bunch of friends..and it seems we're the only ones spouting facts about Harrappa and Mohenjadaro and the Buddisht stupas. Some facts it seems are burnt into your brains that vagaries of time will not erase. All thanks to Mrs. Sheshadri..being in debating and dramatics teams surely paid off for us! Love, Veena

Veena

Ameetha Venkataraman said...

I would very much like to meet her on my next trip to Bangalore.

I was the girl who didn't know the difference between 'martial' and 'marital' in the 8th. When she returned our test books she made a comment about a girl in the class who didn't know the difference between the two. There was loud laughter, including me. Little did I know that I was the culprit until I opened the book. Never did she make fun or ridicule or point me out in front of all. Will love her for this..... for ever.

I love the 'Gupta Age' more than any other Indian all because of our beloved Mrs. S. not for forget Ashoka and Harshavardhana.
Ameetha Venkataraman
Batch of 1975

Jane Jacob said...

Mrs Seshadri...so good to see you here...I think we were your first batch of History students 1974...I still remember the Indus Valley Civilization...guess it got easier after you had our lot...Nazu when you meet her again please convey my fondest regards to her and tell her she doesn't appear to have changed one bit over the last 33 years

Jane Jacob said...

oops forgot...remember our Belur, Halibed and Sharvanbelagola trip Mrs Seshadri...I can't seem to remember the classmate whose father was some big shot in transport who was able to get us one of those delux coaches (of those days) at some very discounted rates for that trip...will ask Yasmin if she remembers...she is here in UK...hope to have her home soon...yes we "senior" ones too must arrange a meet...Zarine and Needra from our batch are also residents of UK...lets see what we can do...

Gita said...

Lets all have coffee with Seshu and Molly and Mrs Athyal and all the other lovely teachers in Bangalore one evening- everyone who cares to attend is invited - the tab is on me. I am doing this to make amends - to mum-in-law and others (Whom I may have disappointed in many ways! But thats just me...I get into trouble for being outspoken at times...am learning to be more diplomatic). But for old times sake...please lets all meet. Am planning on another very short trip (4 long days in training at Bangalore - Sep 26 works for me - please let me know (gitaseshadri@yahoo.com)or BlackBerry me at gseshadri@hcl.in