Tuesday, September 16, 2008

Drill Sergeant Marjorie Suares...PRRRP PRRP PRP!

Drill Sergeant Marjorie Suares.

The blow of her whistle was like a crack of a whip. Move it! Move it! – She got even the sluggiest of slugs to complete the 2 rounds around the field.
PT as we called it (physical training) was the bane of my existence. Jumping jacks, running on the spot, raising your knees as high as you could (which was never high enough!) Touch your toes...1 – 2 – 3 – 4.....Stand straight...”SHOULDERS BACK, CHEST OUT, STOMACH IN.....EYES LOOKING THEIR LEVEL”....she would holler and we’d comply. Drill Sergeant Marjorie Suares... No, she wasn’t a Real Drill Sergeant, but I bet she could have Whooped the Arses of any drill Sergeants out there. Bishop Cotton Girls School won several accolades in the field of Inter School Sports. Trophies and Shields of excellence were won under the Stern Eye and Firm Hand of Ms. Marjorie Suares. More often than not, Bishop Cotton Girls School (between the years while I was there -1975-1981) led the March Past in the Interschool Sports. This recognition is owed solely to Ms. Marjorie Suares, Old Cottonian and PT Teacher for many, many years. She was mean with the hockey stick and is the only person I can recall that could run the length of that hockey field (for her age!!) during the OCvs PC matches! Shame PC’s Shame!!

As a kid, I was interested in playing field hockey and basketball and I must say that Ms. Suares never let me forget the commitment I made. Once you’re in, you’re in for good or GET OUT! Which means – Practice, Practice, Practice and I must say I was proud to have been able to represent Cotton Girls in some of the matches for both games...No, I was not the best nor the Star Athlete, but I learned about Presence and Determination from Suaree (as we used to call her..never to her face..NO NO!). If there was anybody more Present (in more ways than one) in what she did and certainly more Determined, Ms. Suares stands out in my mind’s eye. She was there, rain or shine (much to our chagrin), but I don’t recall her ever being absent...does anybody else?? And mind you, you’d better have your bloomers or shorts on when you’re at PT!!!! As I look back and reminisce, Ms. Suares will always be a part...A BIG PART OF BISHOP COTTON GIRLS SCHOOL! She was 10ft tall for God’s Sakes....well, maybe not, but to me she sure appeared to be so!

Ps – I never hunch when I walk and am cautious even while I sit at my computer...coz if ever I do, I hear echoes of “SHOULDERS BACK, CHEST OUT, STOMACH IN, EYES LOOKING THEIR LEVEL...PRRRRRRP! PRRP! PRRP! -
If anybody has a pic of Ms. Suares kindly post it in the BLOG
Cheers,
Raj

4 comments:

Veena said...

Two rounds round the field..Ms. Vanaja keeping an eye out for us so we don't cut..Ms. Suares encouraged me (read ordered) me try out discuss and shot putt. Oh boy was she disappointed when my bulk didn't produce results, but to give her credit she kept urging me to give it my best. She's the one who pushed me to play hockey coz I was so scared of the basketball. None of us will forget the team spirit she instilled! Thanks Raj for reminding us!

Ameetha Venkataraman said...

Dear Miss Saures

You may not remember me much. I was not the sporty kind, always exempted. I joined Cottons in 1969 to the Std IV. You would check whether we had our bloomers on during PT time. I never knew what they were until I joined Cottons. I was horrified that I had to lift my tunic to show you!!! And they had to be green as well!!!

Will never forget your "All 1's two paces forward take, 2's four paces forward take and 3's six paces forward take" during PT time (something close to this were your instructions - pardon me if I have got it wrong :-}} ).

God bless you and hope I can meet you on my next visit to India/Bangalore.

Ameetha Venkataraman ( Barton House)
Batch of 1975 (Priya Iyengar, Lakshmi Reddy, Janaki K.V. Nirmal Cariappa to name name a few)

amchar@bigpond.net.au

Kundu ( Batch of ICSE '81/ISC '83 said...

Oh..Wish I'd seen this last year..when the blog was HOT!! I just want to let Miss Suares know I've grown up to be the kind who even forgets to take the keys out after unlocking her house...but GUESS WHAT!! I remember each and every one of those preparatory/stepping exercise!! Even passed it on to my li'l one who loves to jump around yelling "Next Change".

Those races on the sports field /inter-school meets at Kanteerva/hockey matches (*sigh* was too short for B'ball) have been the greatest life lessons in grit and determination....Thank you Suaree!

Kundu ( Batch of ICSE '81/ISC '83) said...

Oh..Wish I'd seen this last year..when the blog was HOT!! I just want to let Miss Suares know I've grown up to be the kind who even forgets to take the keys out after unlocking her house...but GUESS WHAT!! I remember each and every one of those preparatory/stepping exercise!! Even passed it on to my li'l one who likes to jump around yelling "Next Change".

Those races on the sports field /inter-school meets at Kanteerva/hockey matches (*was too short for B'ball*) have been the greatest life lessons in grit and determination....Thank you Suaree!