Sunday, September 28, 2008

Twenty years on .. Miss Suares and The First Kiss (Part Three)

Ok now, don't go getting any funny ideas. Those of you who've visited my blog (Art Earth Ink Soul .. and if you haven't visited it yet, you must!) will remember my recent visit to see Mrs. Seshadri - where I'd written about The First Cup of Coffee - that Seshu had made for me personally (it's these little milestones of life that keep me smiling!) and so it seemed only apt that I make a separate entry for this new milestone: my first kiss and hug from Miss Suares!

If anyone reading this doesn't know Miss Suares, they won't understand the significance of this. But most of you reading this are her ex-students, and you will understand.

Miss Suares, tall, daunting, awe-inspiring - able to silence an entire auditorium just by entering it - none of us would have dared to give her a hug and kiss back in those days! So it was delightful to be welcomed with open arms and a warm hug and kiss on the cheek when we walked in to her home to visit her yesterday!

We also got The Second Kiss when we were leaving. After I kissed her goodbye, she put her hands up to her cheeks, an odd expression on her face. "Oh dear," I thought. "She can smell the cigarettes on my breath."

But no.

"Steady," I heard her murmur softly to herself. Miss Suares, indomitable as ever, held her tears back, and saw us out with a glorious smile.


to be continued ..

2 comments:

Raj said...

Thank you Nazu for the wonderful summation of your visit to Suaree and the analogies - yes indeed, Suaree was our own Prof. Snape! My family used to wonder why i was so intrigued by the Harry Potter series. I thought i was the only one who felt Harry Potter took me back to Life at Cottons...er...actually i was almost convinced that i was losing grip by thinking that! I am glad my sisters, that there are many of you who share the same sentiment.
Bless you all! and Nazu, bless your heart for doing this, for it has brought joy to all those of us who visited Suaree with you, in body and in spirit!

Kundu ( Raj/Veen/Nazu/Pervin's Batch) said...

Gosh! What a beautiful picture!!..and even more beautiful memories (My 4.5 is already asking me "mama are you crying?")..CONGRATULATIONS GIRLS!! for putting this together..right from Leena's hiting that search button on Google... to Nazu's exquisite writings!