Wednesday, October 15, 2008

Cotton's Teachers circa 1950s



Here's another picture sent in by Celia, of the teaching staff at school during the 50s.

Emily Pharoah (Celia's aunt) is in the middle row, 6th from the left. Mr. Godbole, Hindi teacher is far right, top row, Miss Susheela is top row 3rd from left, and Miss Suares is middle row 2nd from the right.
Just in case the caption is hard to read, here is the list again (if anyone knows the missing names - or has more info on any of the people in the picture, do let us know so we can grow our history book!):
Top Row (left to right): Mr. Ramamurthy, Mrs. Galloway, Miss Sushila, Mrs. Whitbread, T5, Mrs. Pereira, T7, T8, T9, Mr. Godbole
Middle Row: M1, Mrs. Latt, Mrs. Robey, Miss Mortimer, Miss Britto, Miss Pharoah, Miss Mulley, Miss I. Stevens, Miss Stevens, Miss Suares, Mrs. Fewkes
Front Row: Mrs. Arkley, Mrs. Clark, Miss Moore, Mrs. C. Gaughan, Mrs. Schiff, Miss Biddy Scott, Miss Millington, Miss Holder, Mrs. Robinson

3 comments:

Veena said...

This is fabulous..any idea where the picture was taken? Looks like it might have been on the primary school premises. Ms. Susheela and Ms. Suares look so young.

Leena Thomas said...

Isn't this amazing...Miss Susheela and Miss Suares taught well into the '80's....I remember Ms Fewkes, Mr Godbole and Ms Whitbread in the 70's although I was still in KG then....

Neither of the Ms Stevens in the picture look like Gladys Stevens so I imagine they are different people. (Ms G Stevens taught me in Standard I in '70...she played the piano at every concert and her class made the best craft!)

Leena Athyal (1980)

Asha Rao said...

Asha Rao

I remember a lot of the teachers from the photography and a lot who taught me. Miss Millington was the Principal when I joined and passed on the baton to Mrs. Joseph. Miss Susheela, Mr. Godbole, Miss Suares, Mrs. Whitbread, Mrs. Fewkes, Ms. Mortimer, Ms. Britto, etc. just to name a few. I was the batch of 1967 AISSC and 1968 ISC.